Navigation

Blunders of Single

I received a random text message which irked me, yet also threw me into a fit of hysterical laughter. The content was ridiculous, a basic rejection letter, condensed in approximately one-hundred and forty characters, from a misguided soul under the impression I had eluded to any signs of interest. I could not help but be baffled, seeing as for the past month I had made it my intention to dodge any opportunity for social interaction.

He was a visitor (once native, now living out of state) persisting to take me out to lunch. Against all reservations, I weaken my stance and agreed to a meeting. He was ten years my senior and a total goober, but I commended him for attempting an approach. Through correspondence, I it was unmasked that we were to go dutch for the food tab. Normally not an issue, but I had aforementioned I was a broke college student. I was not about to budget my plans for a person that flatlines on my attraction scale. I retract. He later combats the proposed plan by stating he would treat. "We can split a salad and a sandwich. How does that sound?" It sounds awful, quite honestly. Not only am I not worth a full-sized meal, I would not have the luxury of having the distraction of food from dull dialogue. Awkward.

So I did what a neurotic person of my caliber does, I donned my asshat and stood him up. No call, no apologies. Convinced it was a miscommunication, he chose to contact me incessantly. A sigh of relief upon not receiving any word for a week or two. Then, a chime interrupts my serenity. I see his name on my mobile device and do my best to make sense of the stern notification presented before me. The gist, he will be deleting my number from his phone; sarcasm and best wishes as his ending to emphasize being extremely perturbed. I resisted the urge to reply with a cheeky comment, for it would just promote useless banter and ruin a clean getaway.

One of many tales developing in the diaries of dating. It has become a reoccurring vice of mistaking the option to be single for the desperation to date. I am unwed and child-less by choice. If further evidence is needed to solidify my statement: I am shallow, particular, and disengage easily.  I had once mentioned to my ex that I never possessed the intention of marriage, and that I placed more importance on commitment. Aspect over symbolism, as similar as those ideals are, the subtle differences were the force to drive us apart. The ego is a fickle matter and I have quit trying to remedy the situation and allow others to believe what they what to as long as it does not directly affect me.

Tumblr Me:

a place for me to clear my head with the random events that occur. NAN2DC.tumblr.com